Prerequisite: None. This is a good class for all.
Over six weeks, you'll be gently guided with themes and questions that evoke memories that may have been long forgotten. Don't be surprised if you say, "Wow! I completely forgot about that!" Each week, you'll write two-pages of your life story, read it out loud (if you choose) at the next class and receive feedback from fellow classmates.
"Corinne makes memoir writing fun. I learned how to focus my memories and to bring the reader into my world."
On the completion of this course and all assignments, you’ll have:
- five short personal essays,
- weekly written feedback from fellow classmates, and
- increased self knowledge and awareness as well as greater appreciation of your life.
The core of this class is based on the GAB (Guided Autobiography) method* developed over 40 years by Dr. James Birren of The Birren Center for Autobiographical Studies. It is well-known in helping people document their life stories and has proven to be a powerful tool for improved self-esteem, self-confidence and communication within community and family. It’s a beautiful way to connect with and discover self and others.
This course includes:
To this method, I’ve added my decades of experience as a writer and editor to create a course where students can begin to explore their writing voice.
*I am a certified instructor by the Birren Center for Autobiographical Studies.
- Six two-hour LIVE classes with an activity and an opportunity to share your writing and receive oral feedback. (5 - 10 minute break)
- Maximum 8 participants (minimum 5)
- PLUS, during the duration of the course, you have access to weekly one-hour Writing Laps sessions. NOTE: This bonus will be available only through February 2021.
Count on approximately two hours of homework per week.